[Wgsftelevision] Newark City School television - NSN-19

Leland Hubbell lhhubbell at oldgleaner.com
Mon Nov 3 13:00:21 CST 2008

NSN-19 back on air in Newark
http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/lickingcounty/stories/2008/11/01/1102lsnsn19_ln.html?sid=104

This article from the This Week News (part of the Dispatch family) is an
update on the current video production classes in the Newark City Schools.
"The broadcast and video-production class is sponsored by C-TEC and
offered only to Newark High School students. Newark schools have had a
broadcast program since the 1960s, but it was closed in the late 1990s
to reorganize."
Most of you on the WGSF e-mail list go back to somewhere to that
beginning in the 1960's and early 1970's.
I have visited the NSN-19 facility a few times, and talked to Brad
Philhower. He is on this e-mail list.
It is interesting that "The broadcast and video-production class is
sponsored by C-TEC and offered only to Newark High School students."
For those of you "out of the loop" C-TEC is what was called the "Joint
Vocational School."
Perhaps Brad will provide more information on his operation, where the
classes are held at the high school, and maybe even provide some photos
of the NSN-19 facilities downtown. The NSN stands for "Newark School
News" (I think.)
WGSF Television shut down broadcasting at sign-off on June 30, 1976, as
most of you know. The operation, and some of the production and terminal
equipment, was relocated to E Building at Newark High School later that
summer. The room allocated was 8 feet wide and 19 feet long, and the
adjacent room doubled as the TV Studio, a study hall, and Library Annex.
The high school campus had been wired for television CCTV distribution
when it was build in 1962-63. I connected the TV Center to the system,
and could pipe programs throughout the campus by the spring of 1977. We
only had a couple of television receivers on mobile carts, but moved
them around as best we could.
Newark had an operational CATV system by that time, and I persuaded them
to connect the Newark Schools TV Center. It took some work, but I
finally got some officials from the CATV company to look at our
operation. I showed them the current schedule, and plans to expand it to
other schools and the community at large, much as was done at WGSF
Television.
They looked it over, discussed the possibilities (Federal law said CATV
systems needed to provide a community school channel.)
They were doubtful. Few school systems had followed through with actual
programming after the company spent time and effort hooking them up.
"How long will it take." they inquired, "to begin operation after we
connect you to our CATV system?"
I took them behind the racks, pointed to a connector, and said, "Just as
soon as you hook your cable to this connector!"
It worked. We soon had the connection.
All of the schools eventually were able to receive instructional
programs from the TV Center, which was actually on CATV Channel 20 at
that time.  There was a problem with interference from two-way radios is
some parts of town, and the CATV company switched the Newark City
Schools to Channel 19. (Now you know the rest of the story!)
The system has changed a lot over the years. The TV Center no longer
provides instructional programs, as most schools now have their own
television players, including the high school.
It is gratifying to see that television production courses are still
offered at NHS, and students are excited about hands-on broadcasting.
So take time to read the article.
Although NSN-19 will not air election night coverage this year, some
alumnae of both WGSF and CATV 19 will be involved, I'm sure.
Lu Ann, Sheri, Dan B. and Dan W., Mitch and a few others are "in the
trenches."

Let us know about your involvement.
Would you like to hear directly from some of the students currently in
the NSN-19 classes?
Perhaps we can use the WGSF blog and E-mail to have all of you share
experiences.

WGSF Television home page>     http://wgsf.oldgleaner.com/
WGSF Blog>
http://oldgleaner.com/gleaner_b2evolution/blogs/blog1.php?disp=catdir